The Academy is designed to challenge, support and inspire serious, advanced students of music by immersing them in theory studies and private instruction, continuing their skills development over the summer.
Ideal for students in grades 10, 11 or 12; admission is by acceptance, dependant on ability. The programme is especially recommended for students considering post-secondary music studies.
The Academy @SMC experience includes:
- Theory classes and Conservatory Canada exam
- Presenting on-site and outreach chamber performances which build confidence and expand repertoire, and performing in the session 2 SMC concert
- Participating in mock auditions, and receiving immediate, constructive feedback, honing skills in preparation for university or college entrance
- Receiving private lessons and ensemble coaching
- Enjoying private practice rooms and self-direct practice periods
- Discussing practice strategies, audition preparation, repertoire choices with music professionals
Choose a 3 OR 4 week programme
July 3-28: Academy 4 @SMC
Receive an extra week of supplementary theory coaching in preparation for writing an accredited Conservatory Canada exam, plus additional private lessons and career-related workshops.
July 10-28: Academy 3 @SMC
Theory study, private coaching, auditions, and workshops but students do not sit the accredited theory exam.
The Academy is part of Summer Music Camp, on site at Ridley College. Students take advantage of ideal facilities, enjoying individual sound-proof practice rooms on the beautiful, secure Ridley campus. For information regarding The Academy at SMC, contact the NSO Outreach & Communications Manager at 905-687-4993 ext. 223 or email BJ Armstrong. Bursaries are available thanks to generous community and individual donors and sponsors. The NSO gratefully acknowledges the support of Rittenhouse.