Session 2 Programming
Rainbow Music Programming
Senior Kindergarten to Grade 3
Rainbow Music: Age-appropriate half-day programmes explore music basics such as pitch, rhythm, note names, rests, ensemble playing, and the simple joy of making music. Each class uses different instruments, all incorporate singing and movement. Two half-day programmes may combine to make a full day.
- Ukulele Kids: Ukuleles are guitar-like instruments with 4 strings, perfect for small hands. Coloured tabs under the strings make learning this popular instrument easy and fun.
- Rainbow Voices: primary choral class, upbeat and fun
- Harpsicles: small, brightly coloured lap harps
- Rainbow Percussion: pitched hand drums, coded by colour and shape for easy recognition
Grades 6 to 10
Any two half-day programmes can combine to make a full day; please note, these classes cannot be combined with orchestral instrument classes.
- Guitar: classical guitar instruction
- Piano: group lessons, focusing on basic techniques and the unique skills needed for ensemble playing and performance.
- Vocal: more advanced study of voice production techniques, as applied to a variety of vocal styles and genres
- Jazz: campers explore improvisation, ensemble and jazz solo traditions; campers must have three years experience on their instrument of choice.
- Composition: composition students must have Conservatory Canada Level 3 or equivalent
Grades 6 to 10
Beginner and Experienced campers choose one instrument, learn or develop specific techniques and participate in ensembles, concert band or orchestra.
- Beginner Strings, Brass and Winds, or Percussion: No experience necessary, introductory classes in violin, cello, trumpet, flute, clarinet and orchestral percussion such as timpani, mallets, snares, etc. Camper may choose other instruments such as viola, bass, trombone or saxophone by arrangement. Brass, wind and percussion students participate in concert band. String students form the SMC String Ensembles.
- Experienced Strings, Brass and Winds or Percussion: Designed to further develop and enhance performance practise and ensemble playing for experienced players. Campers need two years instruction on their instrument; all must be able to read music. Campers will participate in Concert Band and the SMC Orchestra.
Registration opens February 2017.