Session 1 Programming
Early Years Programming
18 Months to 3 years old
Parents & Tots: 45-minute, morning-only sessions featuring play-based musical exploration guided by an early education expert. Child must be accompanied by an adult.
Junior Kindergarten to Grade 3
Early Years: Age-appropriate half-day programmes explore music basics such as pitch, rhythm, note names, rests, ensemble playing, and the simple joy of making music. Each class uses different instruments, all incorporate singing and movement. For grades SK and up, two half-day programmes may combine to make a full day.
- Orff: tuned percussion, xylophones, glockenspiels and hand-held rhythm instruments
- Music For Young Children: keyboards, small bells, singing and movement
- Ukulele Kids: Ukuleles are guitar-like instruments with 4 strings, perfect for small hands. Coloured tabs under the strings make learning this popular instrument easy and fun.
Grades 3 to 6
Any two half-day programmes can combine to make a full day. Please note, these classes cannot be combined with orchestral instrument classes.
- Choral: explores basic choral singing in an energetic class; usually performs songs from a stage musical for the concert.
- Handbells: a rare opportunity to learn the more than 12 ways to get sound from a full range of beautiful brass bells.
- Recorder: excellent introduction to wind instruments; will support or introduce a child to school recorder programmes.
- Guitar: classical guitar instruction
- Piano: group lessons, focusing on basic techniques and the unique skills needed for ensemble playing and performance.
Grades 3 to 6
Beginner and Experienced campers choose one instrument, learn or develop specific techniques and participate in ensembles, concert band or orchestra.
- Beginner Strings, Brass and Winds, or Percussion: No experience necessary, introductory classes in violin, cello, trumpet, flute, clarinet and orchestral percussion such as timpani, mallets, snares, etc. Camper may choose other instruments such as viola, bass, trombone or saxophone by arrangement. Brass, wind and percussion students participate in concert band. String students form the SMC String Ensembles.
- Experienced Strings, Brass and Winds or Percussion: Designed to further develop and enhance performance practise and ensemble playing for experienced players. Campers need one year instruction on their instrument; all must be able to read music. Campers will participate in Concert Band and the SMC Orchestra.